MODESTO, CA– Investigators look to warn residents of mail theft throughout Modesto.
Over a one month period, twelve reports have been filed for mail theft. This number is low considering most of these crimes go unreported. Below is a link to a video from a victim in Northwest Modesto. The male in the video approaches the residence where he proceeds to take a package off of the victim’s porch and rides away. Investigators believe the female in the background is associated with the male and they may be casing neighborhoods.
As we enter the holiday season, there will likely be an increase in delivered mail, including packages. Investigators ask that you take these simple steps to reduce your chances of being a victim.
- Require a signature for delivered packages.
- Can’t require a signature? Have your packages delivered to you at work or to someone you know will be home.
- If packages are delivered to your residence, bring them inside immediately.
- Do not put outgoing mail in your mailbox. Instead, deliver it to the post office.
- Have personal checks delivered to your bank for pick-up.
- Check your mail daily.
- Be a good neighbor. Report suspicious activity in your neighborhood immediately to police.
If you are a victim of mail theft, you can file a report by calling (209) 572-9573 or online at www.modestopolice.com.