The Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Department and the City of Modesto’s Poets’ Corner Committee are pleased to announce that the submission period for the 32nd Annual Poets’ Corner Contest is now open. The contest is open to all Stanislaus County residents and offers two categories for poetry entries:
• General: Poetry on any subject, in any style, including rhymed, unrhymed, free verse, sonnet, haiku (group of three accepted), ballad, etc.
• 2013 Special: Poetry in celebrating of pets which could include but not limited to a favorite pet, a family pet, an unusual pet or the pet I wished I had.
Entries are limited to the following:
• Two poems per person
• Unpublished poems
• May not exceed 32 lines
• All Entries must be postmarked by Wednesday, March 13, 2013
• Submit three copies of each poem with separate entry form for each different poem (if submitting two poems)
• Names should only be written on entry forms and not on the poems
Entry forms and complete contest rules may be downloaded at www.modestogov.com/prnd or can be picked up at the following locations:
• Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Department, Office – 1010 Tenth Street, Suite 4400
• McHenry Museum, 1402 I Street
• McHenry Mansion Visitors Center and Gift Shop – 924 15th Street
• Stanislaus County Library – 1500 I Street
• Maddux Youth Center, 615 Sierra Drive
• King Kennedy Memorial Center, 601 S. Martin Luther King Drive
Contest winners will be notified by mail and the winning poems will be read at the Poets’ Corner Contest Reception to be held on Sunday, May 19, 2013, at 1:30 p.m. on the Main Floor at the McHenry Museum, 1402 I Street.
Winning poems will be printed in a booklet that will be placed in the Poets’ Bookshelf, which contains published works by local writers and will be kept at the McHenry Museum. Each winner will receive a copy of the booklet.
For more information, please contact Ellen La Coste at 209-577-5235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.